Peter Christensen, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Incentive-Based Pay and Worker Effort in Public Programs: Experimental Evidence from the Weatherization Assistance Program
Date and Location
Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 1:10 PM - 2:30 PM
ARE Library Conference Room, 4101 Social Sciences and Humanities
Aligning compensation with recipient outcomes has the potential to improve the efficiency of government programs. We perform a field experiment to evaluate the impact of performance bonuses on the returns to spending in a large low-income energy efficiency assistance program. The bonuses generate $5.39-14.53 in social benefits for every dollar invested and increase the social net benefits from home weatherization more than two-fold from net negative ($-488) to net positive ($652). We find evidence that these cost-effectiveness improvements result from more efficient allocation of effort within the program and we do not find evidence of increased deficiencies among non-incentivized tasks.
Subscribe to Upcoming Seminars
Individual seminar and workshop announcements are circulated via separate mailing lists. To subscribe, send an email to the relevant list:
- Click here to subscribe to the Departmental Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Agricultural Economics Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Development Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Econometrics Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop and the Environmental and Energy Economics Workshop.
Contact Us2116 Social Sciences and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
Main Office: 530-752-1515
Student Advising Services: 530-754-9536
DeLoach Conference Room: 530-752-2916
Main Conference Room: 530-754-1850