Tilman Reinhardt, University of Bayreuth
Food and Wine Regulation in the European Union: An Approahc to Innovation and Sustainability
Date and Location
Friday, October 28, 2022, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
ARE Conference Room, 2102 Social Sciences and Humanities
The European Union has extensive and complex laws and regulations governing food and wine that strictly regulate production from farm to fork and vineyard to glass. For wine and many food items, the nucleus of this regulation is the system of Geographical Indications, which is now mandatory in all EU member states and promoted worldwide through bilateral and international agreements. The talk gives an overview of EU GI regulation for food and wine and shows how it deals with current sustainability and innovation issues, such as fungus-resistant grape varieties or de-alcoholized wine. It also discusses how wine regulation could serve as a model for even more extensive food systems regulation through its holistic approach and bottom-up elements.
Subscribe to Upcoming Seminars
Individual seminar and workshop announcements are circulated via separate mailing lists. To subscribe, send an email to the relevant list:
- Click here to subscribe to the Departmental Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Agricultural Economics Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Development Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Econometrics Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop and the Environmental and Energy Economics Workshop.
Contact Us2116 Social Sciences and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
Main Office: 530-752-1515
Student Advising Services: 530-754-9536
DeLoach Conference Room: 530-752-2916
Main Conference Room: 530-754-1850