Maureen Kilkenny, National Center for Food and Agricultural Policy
Quality in Open Markets: The Sumo Conjecture
Date and Location
Tuesday, May 12, 2015, 2:10 PM - 3:30 PM
3001 Plant and Environmental Sciences
How can trade expansion lead to lower quality and less diversity? Autarky quality is hypothetically positively related to domestic market size and willingness to pay for quality, and inversely related to the cost of quality. To investigate open market outcomes we formalize strategically interacting firms. We identify when low-quality producers can lead and drive high-quality producers out of the market, despite the existence of customers willing to pay for quality. The strategy is more likely when the emerging exporter is very large but the difference in willingness to pay for higher quality between it and the trade partner is small.
Subscribe to Upcoming Seminars
Individual seminar and workshop announcements are circulated via separate mailing lists. To subscribe, send an email to the relevant list:
- Click here to subscribe to the Departmental Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Agricultural Economics Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Development Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Econometrics Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop and the Environmental and Energy Economics Workshop.
Contact Us2116 Social Sciences and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
Main Office: 530-752-1515
Student Advising Services: 530-754-9536
DeLoach Conference Room: 530-752-2916
Main Conference Room: 530-754-1850