Antoine Champetier, Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich
The Value of Agricultural Pollination
Date and Location
Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 4:10 PM - 5:30 PM
ARE Conference Room, 2102 Social Sciences and Humanities
The pollination services provided by insects to human economies through agricultural production have been valued at 153 billion euros per year (~200 billion USD). We review the findings and methods of this small but influential literature. We correct three important limitations of the methods used so far by accounting for producer surpluses, trade, and substitution in production and consumption. We argue that the notion of "pollination hotspots" developed by previous contributions is misleading for understanding the welfare impacts of changes in pollinator abundance.
Subscribe to Upcoming Seminars
Individual seminar and workshop announcements are circulated via separate mailing lists. To subscribe, send an email to the relevant list:
- Click here to subscribe to the Departmental Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Agricultural Economics Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Development Workshop.
- Click here to subscribe to the Econometrics Seminars.
- Click here to subscribe to the Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop and the Environmental and Energy Economics Workshop.
Contact Us2116 Social Sciences and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
Main Office: 530-752-1515
Student Advising Services: 530-754-9536
DeLoach Conference Room: 530-752-2916
Main Conference Room: 530-754-1850