UC Davis Agricultural and Resource Economics

Financial Support

Current Graduate Tuition and Fees at UC Davis are posted here. There are several ways in which students can receive financial support to cover these costs. The department offers funding to our PhD students in the form of guaranteed employment as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or a Graduate Student Researcher GSR) and/or departmental fellowships.

Employment assignments are made on a quarter-by quarter basis. A call for student employment requests will be sent out about 6-8 weeks before each quarter begins. We try our best to match faculty and student requests with departmental need.


Graduate Student Researchers:

Graduate Student Researcher positions are supported from funded research projects undertaken by individual faculty members subject to the availability of funds and the preferences of the faculty, and the approval of the Department Chair. Normal, GSRs are expected to work 20 hours a week and will be appointed at .4899% of full time during the academic year. Full-time appointments during the summer are possible if funding is available. Appointment as a GSR at a rate of 25% or greater entitles the student to a fee remission that covers all fees for each quarter in which the student is employed. The minimum GPA requirement is 3.0.

Teaching Assistants:

Teaching Assistant appointments are made by the Chair of the Graduate Administrative Committee. We take in consideration, the interest and qualifications of the applicants, the availability of positions, the preferences of the instructors, and the constraints of the schedules. The number of Teaching Assistant appointments available depends on the demand and/or courses offered during each quarter. Teaching Assistants are needed in all areas of our graduate program and first consideration is given to continuing students. The University allocates funds for TA positions to the Department, so the number of Teaching Assistant positions is limited. Assistants who are appointed at either 25% or 50% appointments entitles the student to a partial fee remission of their in-state fees for each quarter in which they are appointed as a TA. All Teaching Assistants must enroll in a total of twelve units. Any student applying for a TA position must have participated in a TA Orientation and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

Teaching Assistants are not responsible for the instructional content of a course, for selection of student assignments, for planning of examinations, or for determining the term grade for students. Neither is the Teaching Assistant to be assigned responsibility for instructing the entire enrollment of a course or for providing the entire instruction of a group of students enrolled in a course. The Teaching Assistant is responsible only for the conduct of recitation, laboratory, or quiz sections under the active direction and supervision of a regular member of the faculty to whom final responsibility for the course’s entire instruction including the performance of Teaching Assistants, has been assigned.


Reader appointments are made by the Chair of the Graduate Administrative Committee in consideration of the interest and qualifications of the applicants, the availability of positions, the preferences of the instructors, and the constraints of the schedules. Readers are appointed at 25% and are entitled to a partial fee remission of their in-state fees for each quarter in which they are appointed as a Reader. Typical work for a Reader would be, clerical work, grading weekly examinations or assignments, obtaining equipment, preparing demonstrations, handouts, audiovisual materials or readings, and grading final examinations. Some instructors require attending lectures and proctoring exams. The minimum GPA requirement for a Reader is 3.0.


Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition Fellowship

The department also offers a limited number of fellowships to cover non-resident tuition costs, which currently stand at $15,102 per academic year. These fellowships usually cover the NRT until a student advances to PhD candidacy, at which point their NRST costs are reduced to zero. Domestic students who are not California residents are also eligible to receive the NRTF, but are expected to obtain California residency by the end of their first year.

Internal Fellowships

Graduate Studies administers several internal fellowship programs, which are applied for at the same time an admission application and due Jan. 15.

International Fellowships and Partnerships

International Agency Funded Scholarships - There are a number of international agency sponsored agencies that have signed a specific agreement with our campus to provide funding for students and scholars to attend UC Davis.

Zhejiang University 3+X Program

The collaborative 3+X program brings promising undergraduates to UC Davis to earn a master's degree (referring to 3 years at the undergraduate institution and X years in a master's program at UC Davis, where X is approximately 1). For more information contact; Linxia Liang, Director, Asian Alumni, International Programs and Development, University Outreach and International Programs, (530) 754-8945, lxliang@ucdavis.edu

Chile-UC Partnership

The Republic of Chile and the State of California have had a longstanding relationship of cooperation and collaboration since the launch of the Chile-California Program in 1963. This program sought to promote technical cooperation between Chile and California in areas such as agriculture, education, water resource management, and highway transportation.

China Scholarship Council

An agreement between the China Scholarship Council (CSC) and UC Davis provides an important collaboration of designated doctoral (Ph.D.) research programs and joint Ph.D. training programs. This program has the potential, if fully implemented, to provide a total of up to $8 million in graduate student support to top prospective students from China.



Financial Aid

UC Davis Grad Financial Aid

Financial Aid is not available for students with F1 or F2 Student Visas, J1 or J2 Exchange Visitor Visas, or G Series Visas. To be eligible to receive need-based federal, state, or University funding you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.

International students may also be eligible for alternative loans through a private lender. The Graduate Financial Aid Office recommends that you research available loan products to determine which one best meets your needs. To assist you in this effort, a comparison resource is available online at Private and Alternative Loans.

Contact Us

2116 Social Sciences and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616

Main Office: 530-752-1515
Student Advising Services: 530-754-9536
DeLoach Conference Room: 530-752-2916
Main Conference Room: 530-754-1850